Monday 6 April 2015

London: Liberty of London

My recent trip to London gave me the chance to finally visit Liberty. I've been meaning to visit for ages but just haven't had the time, however as I was in London for four days so I was able to fit it in.


Every department floor felt like an exploration of colour, pattern and texture, seemingly reflecting the designs of Liberty fabrics themselves.


Seeing lots of different designers work in the flesh was also very inspiring, particularly the clothing ranges of designers that I have been researching for my current project. But perhaps most inspiring was looking at the layout of their products and decorative items, which is an area of interest for me as I want to improve how I present my own work in my studio space. 


The building itself is really interesting too, and a quick look on Wikipedia reveals that it's not as old as it seems, having been built in the 1920s in the Tudor revival style, using timber from two ships; HMS Impregnable and HMS Hindustan.

Although I spent quite a lot of time in their I would've loved to have stayed longer as there is so much to see; hopefully I can go again in summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment